10 June 2009

Ancient Chinese Secret...

Thinking of trying to pack for five weeks had me contemplating what to bring in the way of clothing. Knowing that our schedule is going to be packed everyday, including the weekends, I was thinking, "when will I ever have time to wash clothes?" We had been told that the dorms had laundry facilities available, but if we're gone all the time, how would it get done? Well, it turns out that they actually have a laundry service available for us. Yes, someone else will be doing my laundry. I wonder if it'll be like this?

It's been so strange getting ready for this trip. Aside from reading the books and the occasional e-mail from the director of the program every couple weeks, I feel under prepared compared to my Australia trip. For that trip, the team met fairly frequently, not only to get to know one another, but also to learn about Australian culture, prepare our presentation for the Rotary meetings, hearing from past GSE participants, etc. I have spoken to the one other teacher who is going on this trip from Michigan. He's from the Lansing area, and we chatted for a few minutes on the phone about packing and what types of gifts we should bring.

I did find out that I will not be getting the single room that I had asked for in Xi'an. The university had only four single rooms available for the group, and I drew the short straw. I'm not really upset though. I'll now be in the "Foreign Experts" building. (Makes me sound important. It's nice that I'm finally getting the recognition that I deserve.) I'll be sharing a suite with another teacher. Of course, I have no idea who that will be, which is odd. Oh well, this is all an adventure right?

No comments:

Post a Comment